Q. What is a persistent hand sanitizer?
A. Most hand sanitizers kill germs only when applied, which means every time you touch something after you use them you pick up new germs. A persistent hand sanitizer is a formulation that when applied will quickly kill germs and then continue to kill them for a period of time.
Q Shield™ Skin Care is a foam hand sanitizer with a residual effect lasting up to 24 hours. This works by forming an anti-microbial barrier as it dries. After application, you should continue to wash your hands normally to remove dead bacteria; this will allow the Q Shield™ barrier to be most effective against germs you come into contact with.
Q. Why should I use a persistent hand sanitizer?
A. The single most effective way to prevent the spread of germs is to wash your hands immediately after you touch anything, as all surfaces contain unseen bacteria; but that’s just not possible. Even washing your hands frequently isn’t always possible.
Applying Q Shield™ once a day to your hands is a cost effective and efficient way of protecting yourself because its anti-microbial barrier will continue to kill the germs you touch up to 24 hours after it is applied. The single application is easy to include in your morning routine and provides continuous protection all day.
Q. Can Q Shield™ be used on my pet?
A. Pets bring in lots germs on their feet, legs and hindquarters. If you choose to use Q Shield™ to clean these areas, please ensure the product dries to the skin (so they can’t accidentally swallow any) and that you avoid getting it in or near their eyes. It will bond to their skin in the same way it does to yours, forming a persistent anti-microbial barrier.
Q Shield™ isn’t a veterinary medicine and if you are worried about your pet’s health you should always attend the local vet for diagnosis and treatment advice. You should never apply Q Shield™ to an open wound or broken skin. It is not an antiseptic.
If your pet suffers with a fungal or bacterial skin complaint, which your vet has been unable to resolve and where, if left untreated, you consider the problem to be impacting your pet’s quality of life or their long-term health, Q Shield™ may be a suitable option. Q Shield™’s wide kill spectrum kills many common pet borne germs.
Q. Can I use Q Shield™ in my kitchen where I prepare food?
A. We recommend using Q Shield™ in the kitchen on work surfaces as not only will it kill germs when it is applied it will prevent germs from growing in between cleaning. When applied, the anti-microbial barrier will coat the work surface providing protection for up to 28 days. After application, it is important that you continue to clean regularly with a wet cloth or with a mild detergent such as washing up liquid, as this will remove the microscopic dead bacteria (which were killed by the Q Shield™ barrier) from the surface.
If you spill a lot of food waste on the surface, or if it becomes heavily soiled, we recommend cleaning away the visible dirt with a wet cloth or mild detergent; leaving the surface for 5 minutes. Then clean again with a different wet cloth or mild detergent to remove the now dead invisible bacteria that were left behind after your first wipe down.
Of course, you should also practice good food preparation hygiene and regularly bleach cleaning cloths and sponges. You could choose to use Q Shield™ to clean cloths and sponges but it probably isn’t as cost effective as using a standard household bleach, which is more than suitable when you’ve already used Q Shield™ for a persistent kill of germs on your kitchen surfaces.
Q Shield™ is suitable for use on glass chopping boards. Care should be taken when using plastic or wooden chopping boards; if you damage the surface of the board with you knife it is advisable to re-apply Q Shield™ to the damaged area to restore the efficacy of the antimicrobial barrier. When using Q Shield™ on your chopping boards, always ensure you clean the board with a mild detergent and practice good food preparation hygiene.
Q. Is Q Shield™ better than the Alcohol Gel I am currently using?
A. Yes. Alcohol Gel will only kill when you put it on your hands. Once it has dried, the next thing you touch re-contaminates your hands, so unless you re-apply the gel every time you touch something it isn’t killing bacteria.
Q Shield™ forms an invisible anti-microbial barrier which continues to kill germs for up to 24 hours after it is applied.
Q Shield™ also doesn’t dry your skin. Frequent use of alcohol gels does dry the skin, which causes it to crack and become painful. And cracked skin is more prone to infection, so you can actually increase your risk of infection by using an alcohol gel – and that’s not all, studies have shown that people using alcohol gels have more bacteria on their hands 1 hour after application than people either using a persistent hand sanitizer or just washing their hands with soap and water!
Alcohol gels were invented primarily for medical use and to be used as an alternative if hand washing wasn’t available, but somehow, they went main-stream before anybody noticed the science doesn’t support them.
Q. Is Q Shield™ more convenient than Alcohol Gels?
A. You can apply Q Shield™ once at any period during the day and it will continue to work for 24 hours. You don’t have to carry it with you and you don’t have to re-apply it. That’s pretty convenient.
Travelling abroad? Going on a cruise? Q Shield™ comes in handy 50ml and 100ml bottles which means it is suitable for flight hand or hold luggage, and with one application a whole bottle will easily last for even the longest of trips.
Q. How do I know it is working if I cannot see the barrier?
A. We’ve seen a 15% reduction in staff sickness amongst workers where they used Q Shield™ Skin Care once a day for a year. We’ve seen a 32% reduction in pupil absence due to sickness over a full academic year among primary school children – an at-risk group for infections.
Try Q Shield™ and let us know how you get on.
We can’t prevent you from catching some germs and getting sick, but we believe we can make a difference to how frequently you get sick.
Q. How long can I keep Q Shield™ for once I have opened it?
A. Q Shield™’s anti-microbial formula means it has an exceptionally long shelf life – which is good because using it once a day means it lasts a long time too. Each bottle has its own expiry date on the back so you shouldn’t use it after this period, which is 6 years unopened and 3 years once opened.
Q. Is Q Shield™ dangerous if ingested?
A. Q Shield™ is not suitable for ingestion. You should not drink this product and it should be kept out of reach of anyone you consider at risk of consuming it. The type of alcohol in this this product will not lead to being drunk; instead the anti-microbial action will make you ill. Your body is a giant bio-chemistry set, full of good bacteria that are defenceless against Q Shield™.
Ingestion of Q Shield™ will likely cause an upset stomach and some unpleasant trips to the bathroom. If you do find yourself ingesting Q Shield™ you should contact your doctor immediately or have someone do so on your behalf. The doctor should monitor your symptoms closely in the same way they would monitor a patient with food poisoning where the risk of dehydration and associated complications caused by diarrhoea and vomiting can become life threatening if left untreated.
Q. What should I do if I accidently get Q Shield™ in my eye?
A. Flush your eyes with water continuously. Ensure you have thoroughly rinsed the product from your eyes. Resist the temptation to rub your eyes with your hands, use water only to clear the area and seek medical assessment at the earliest opportunity.